Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 3 NFL picks

Well, I had a great week last week, picking 10 winners in 15 games. In fact, seven of my eight top picks went in the win column. Too bad, though, I didn't follow my own advice and actually make any wagers. If I have another week like that, I just may have to indulge a bit. I will say that I don't feel nearly as confident about this batch as I did of the last.

Let's go to the picks:

(16 points) DALLAS minus-2.5 over GREEN BAY
--> I am never a fan of picking against a home dog which has been playing well. The thing here, though is I think the Cowboys are the best team in the NFC, and quite possibly, the NFL. With another chance to prove their worth, look for the Starheads to win by 10 or more.
Last week: Patriots (+2.5) 19, Jets 10 (correct pick)

(15 points) NEW ENGLAND minus-12.5 over MIAMI
--> The oddsmakers still don't quite get it that the Patriots aren't THAT much worse without Brady. They've come around a bit -- last week making them a dog against the Jets (Were you kidding me?) -- but this same game last year would have been about a 20-point spread. Take the Pats one more week before everyone wises up, and laugh at everyone else.
Last week: Colts (-2.5) 18, Vikings 15 (correct pick ... whew)

(14 points) INDIANAPOLIS minus-5.5 over JACKSONVILLE
--> This is the week the Colts break out, even if it is against one of the league's tougher defenses. And by the way, if this isn't the week, I will be jumping off the Colts' bandwagon like investors were jumping off stocks Monday and Wednesday.
Last week: Redskins 29, Saints (-.5) 24 (incorrect, very incorrect, pick)

(13 points) CAROLINA plus-3.5 over MINNESOTA
--> The Vikings finally realized they need to stop using Tarvaris Jackson at QB, but Gus Frerotte can't be the answer. Didn't he bang his head into a brick wall like 15 years ago? The dude just ain't right, and Carolina moves to 3-0.
Last week: Packers (-3.5) 48, Lions 25 (correct pick)

(12 points) TAMPA BAY plus-2.5 over CHICAGO
--> An even better choice would be the under, whatever the hell it is. Honestly, I think the only way I lose this one is if Robbie Gould kicks a late field goal to give the Bears a 3-0 win.
Last week: Broncos (+2.5) 39, Chargers 38 (correct pick, thanks Mr. Hochuli)

(11 points) CINCINNATI plus-12.5 over NY GIANTS
--> Am I mad? Just plain stupid? So the Bengals have been awful, but the Giants shouldn't be giving 12 1/2 points to anyone. And if they're up by 14 in the waning minutes, my man Ocho Cinco will come through for me.
Last week: Panthers 20, Bears (+3.5) 17 (correct pick, thanks half-a-pernt)

(10 points) SAN DIEGO plus-8.5 over NY JETS
--> Now while these new Jets aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut, they're certainly better with No. 4 under center. The thing here is, though, I expect the Chargers to be pissed and play like Favre is Ed Hochuli.
Last week: Giants (-8.5) 41, Rams 13 (correct pick, thanks Mr. Haslett)

(9 points) SAN FRANCISCO minus-3.5 over DETROIT
--> Didn't Jon Kitna again predict the Lions would win 10 games? I'm not sure they could win 10 games against the spread if they were underdogs to the Dolphins for the next 13 weeks. (Sorry Gene Pool.)
Last week: Bills (+6.5) 20, Jaguars 16 (correct pick)

(8 points) PHILADELPHIA plus-3.5 over PITTSBURGH
--> Big Ben is banged up, and the Eagles are flying high offensively, despite losing last week to T.O. and the boys. Make me even more aggravated that I couldn't keep bidding on DeSean Jackson.
Last week: Buccaneers 24, Falcons (+8.5) 9 (incorrect pick, what was I thinking?)

(7 points) BALTIMORE minus-2.5 over CLEVELAND
--> The Ravens got an unexpected week off to prepare for the Browns. Does any team really need a week of to prepare for the Browns?
Last week: Raiders (+3.5) 23, Chiefs 8 (correct pick, shees the Chefs are bad)

(6 points) WASHINGTON minus-2.5 over ARIZONA
--> This was a toughie, because I really think the Cardinals are headed for 10 or 11 wins. But that's mostly because of their piss-poor division, and last week the Skins showed what they can do against a passing team.
Last week: Cardinals 31, Dolphins (+6.5) 10 (incorrect pick, note to self: Don't ever pick Dolphins again)

(5 points) HOUSTON plus-4.5 over TENNESSEE
--> The hurricane certainly didn't help the Astros, but this team's a little different. Like, maybe, just maybe, they won't feel sorry for themselves and constantly cry about what their millionaire asses had to endure.
Last week: Titans (+1.5) 24, Bengals 7 (correct pick, need a drink Mr. Collins?)

(4 points) ATLANTA minus-4.5 KANSAS CITY
--> On one hand, I was thinking how in the hell could the Falcons be giving anyone points. But then I realized they were playing the Chefs, and suddenly this pick wasn't so tough.
Last week: Steelers 10, Browns (+6.5) 6 (correct pick, thanks Mother Nature)

(3 points) OAKLAND plus-8.5 over BUFFALO
--> Sort of in line with picking against the Cardinals, I don't like picking against the Bills, either, as they are my surprise AFC team. But their offense is facing a tough D, and Got Dat Wood looks like he's the real deal.
Last week: Cowboys 41, Eagles (+6.5) 37 (correct pick)

(2 points) ST. LOUIS plus-9.5 over SEATTLE
--> If this doesn't tell you what I think of the Seahawks, I'm not sure how to make it any clearer. They are just awful. And P.S. I know the Rams are awfuller.
Last week: 49ers 33, Seahawks (+8.5) 30, OT (incorrect pick)

(1 point) NEW ORLEANS plus-5.5 over DENVER
--> A couple of things before you go out and officially declare me crazy. The Saints aren't as bad as they played last week, and the Broncos aren't that good. Still, while I realize Jay Cutler is bound to have a great day, I think Drew Brees will have an even better one.
Last week: no pick, hurricane

HOW DA CMMSH HAS FARED: 105 points, 11-4 record
OVERALL: 105 points, 11-4 record

No comments: