Thursday, September 25, 2008

KVP's got ya back

It's sort of an office ritual to mess with The Gene Pool (as seen by a blog I wrote about two weeks ago). I have to give it to the kid, he's got spunk, and he usually takes the ribbing well.

Sometimes, though, you can tell you hurt his feelings. Unlike most of the people I banter with, I actually feel bad when I hurt his feelings. It's almost like messing with the team mascot. He's just doing his job, dammit!

MLC usually hits him a little harder than I do, but for some reason, he usually takes it harder when I hit a little below the belt. I dunno, maybe it's my presentation. ;)

Here's some back and forth banter from Thursday night while we wait for the end of the Tulane game. Check out the last quote. I deserved it.

Gene Pool: "So what happens if the Astros sweep their last series, and the Brewers and Mets get swept?" (Houston is 3 1/2 back with three games to play.)

Me: "What difference does it make? They're too far back. I think they're officially eliminated. The Mets have 88 wins."

TGP: "They're not officially eliminated. The Mets can finish 88-74, and the Astros can finish 88-74. Would they have to make up the game with the Cubs on Monday?"

Me: "Will you just give it up? They're not going to play that God damned game."

TGP: "Well, they could."

Me: "Give it up, already. Who gives a shit, anyway?"

TGP: "(Clearly annoyed and looking straight at Marcus for some unknown reason) I'm just saying it's not impossible. JESUS."

Me: "Who the f*** are you talking to?"

TGP: "(Pouting voice) You."

Me: "You’re looking at Marcus, but talking to me. That makes sense."

Me as I get up and look into the corner of the room away from everyone: "(Loud) God Dammit, Marcus."

The office, except for TGP laughs in unison.

GDG: "You’re an asshole."

Me: "You’re just figuring out after five years that I’m an asshole?"

KVP: "You must not have read the scouting report."

Me: "(Pause) I have to give it to you, though, my wife and I have been together for three years, and she doesn’t know I’m an asshole yet."

KVP: "Yeah, but the difference is you don’t have to pay Gene when she figures it out."

No comments: