Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving thanks

Today is not only the day we eat until we're ready to pass out, all the while leaving the mess for someone else to clean up. No, it's called Thanksgiving for a reason. If there's one thing I don't do enough of, it's to give thanks.

I'll do my best to make up a little bit, because I do have plenty to be thankful for.

--> I am thankful for Metry Mama. In fact, I am not sure how I would make it without her. She has been the best thing to happen to me -- by far -- and she is the most selfless person I have ever met. I am not just thankful for her because she cooks, cleans and does all the things I hate doing without complaining, but I am most thankful because she is my best friend. And honestly, when looking for the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, who could ask for more than that? And it's also cool that I have one of the best stepsons on the planet. I am soooo thankful for that.

--> I am thankful to have been healthy my first 40 years. Thankful, and I guess I should be sort of surprised. You know I am reminded every day by people who don't smoke that I shouldn't smoke. Did you know that it's bad for you? Someone should have told that to my grandfather who smoked, drank wine every day, ate fried food every day and lived to be 92. I guess that's part of why he was (sort of still is) my idol. Oh, and he hated George Steinbrenner.

--> I am thankful to have many friends. I know a ton of people who don't, and I know they aren't as happy as I am. Hell, I'm even thankful for Tommy Crosby. I have been blessed throughout life to be surrounded by people I could count on. And I hope I have been there for them when they needed me most. Without my friends, there have been many times throughout life where I'd a been *&*# outta luck.

--> I am thankful to have had just about everything I ever wanted. So maybe I wasn't spoiled as a kid, but I have certainly spoiled myself as an adult. Can't think of many things I need -- or want -- that I don't have. Sure, I'd love to win the lottery this weekend and never have to work again, but it's not neccessary. I enjoy life to the fullest, and not to sound like those cliches that I hate so much, but I live every day like it's my last. It's the only way to go.

--> I am thankful to have a job. It would be tough to be thankful for the last item if I didn't have a job. Especially these days. People often throw around the term uncertain times, but I don't think there have been more uncertain times in my lifetime than now. After my first five years of employment where I jumped around from job to job (I think I had like nine different ones, including three at one time at one point), I have been at The TP for a little over 18 years. It's hard to fathom. Seriously. With all the stupid things I have said and done? Wow. And thank you.

--> I am thankful for all the little things in life. Date nights with Metry Mama, although we haven't had as many as we'd have liked lately. (We're gonna fix that soon, Mama.) Football Day with Big Buffet. Poker night. The Finks Football League. The Cubbies and Saints. Being 18 again with Mike P, even if it is mostly over the phone these days. Watchin baseball with Drew and Billy and our convos about whatever -- again, not as often as I'd like anymore. Havin a drink with Scotty on Saturday nights after work and listening to Joe play all those songs no one else but me likes. My family, especially my two nephews and two nieces. And too many more to mention. But without 'em, I might lose my sanity.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From now on, i would like to be refered to with a nickname on this blog. Everyone else gets a nickname. I do not want my real name revealed especially if you are afraid to use Mama's real name.
Make a poll, find a name, and use it!