Friday, October 10, 2008

Week 6 NFL picks

OK, so I am officially over the Cubs loss. It obviously ruined my whole weekend, though, as my picks were once again awful. I am now treading in fourth place amongst the common people in my pick'em pool. What the heck is going on? MLC is leading for crying out loud! We cannot continue to let this happen, and with those Northside scumbags not around anymore to ruin my Mojo, we plan to get back on track with an 80-plus point week.

Here we go:

(16 points) CHICAGO minus-2.5 over ATLANTA
--> The Falcons, obviously, have been quite a surprise, and have one of the top running games in the NFL. That won't be an easy thing to continue against the Bears, who could end up taking over my spot as the NFC's No. 2 team, behind the Starheads. Atlanta has been great in three of five games, especially at home, but here comes their reality check.
Last week: Falcons 27, Packers (-6.5) 24 (Yes, I realize I am picking against the Falcons at the top two weeks in a row.)

(15 points) HOUSTON minus-2.5 over MIAMI
--> Picking a winless team to give up points against another who has defeated the top two teams in the AFC last season? Am I nuts? Well, maybe, but the Texans actually have played well, and last week did so without their starting quarterback against the Colts. The Dolphins are on the right track, but I'm not ready to pick them on the road against what I still believe is a quality team.
Last week: Dolphins 17, Chargers (-6.5) 10 (See a trend developing here?)

(14 points) DALLAS minus-5.5 over ARIZONA
--> The Cardinals still have much to prove in my eyes, regardless of their big win last week. Dallas, meanwhile, is coming off two sub-par performances and needs to turn it around. While the Birds shut down Marshawn Lynch last week, they did it daring J.P. Losman to throw. Do that against the Cowboys, and they're gonna get burned. Real bad.
Last week: Steelers 26, Jaguars (-3.5) 21 (Who'd a thunk Big Ben actually would have time to throw?)

(13 points) GREEN BAY plus-2.5 over SEATTLE
--> Why do people continue to think Seattle is good? Hell, why would you even think they're mediocre? They're in the worst division in football and struggling. This could be a statement game, meanwhile, for Aaron Rodgers. If he even wants to be considered in the top half of NFL quarterbacks, he'll shake off last week's loss and prove to his fans that he has a winning mentality.
Last week: Colts (-3.5) 31, Texans 27 (It would have been a REAL clunker of a week if the Colts wouldn't pulled this one out their horseshoe.)

(12 points) SAN FRANCISCO plus-4.5 over PHILADELPHIA
--> The Eagles are as banged up as any team in the NFL, especially at the key positions. Without Brian Westbrook, it will all be on Donovan McNabb's shoulders, who will be without Reggie Brown. The Niners continue to improve, and should give the Eagles a steady dose of Frank Gore. That is, if Mike Martz can get his head out of his keister and realize he has one of the best runnung backs in the league.
Last week: Bears (-3.5) 34, Lions 7 (Were they kidding us with that spread? And why the hell wasn't this my top pick? Mysteries, mysteries.)

(11 points) TAMPA BAY minus-1.5 over CAROLINA
--> You'd think I'd be sold on the Panthers by now, but I'm really not. I also believe the NFC South isn't nearly as good as it's played so far (with the exception of you-know-who). I still believe the Bucs will win it, assuming their old defense can keep up. Look for the Kiffinator to seal the ends, cover Muhsy and Steve Smith, and make DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart beat them. It won't work.
Last week: Patriots (-3.5) 30, 49ers 21 (Told ya what a week off could do for Mr. Belicheat.)

(10 points) NY JETS minus-6.5 over CINCINNATI
--> No Carson Palmer and an overacheiving defense. Brett Favre must be salivating after a week off and 56 points under his belt two weeks ago. This could be the week the Marvin Lewis watch truly begins, especially if he loses by three touchdowns, which is entirely possible.
Last week: Vikings 30, Saints (-2.5) 27 (That son of a bitch, Gramatica.)

(9 points) NEW ORLEANS minus-7.5 over OAKLAND
--> It's absolutely do or die for the Saints. If they lose this week, the complete meltdown will begin on the road at Carolina next week. Payton will not let that happen, and the goal this week should be the same for the Fleur-de-Lis as it was last week, albeit with a different name. Stop Darren McFadden, and let JaMarcus beat you. If that happens, shame on you.
Last week: Panthers (-9.5) 34, Chiefs 0 (I think I forgot that you were supposed to move the easiest picks to the top.)

(8 points) NEW ENGLAND plus-5.5 over SAN DIEGO
--> Really? The Chargers have been bad, and they likely are without their best receiver, Chris Chambers. All the while, we're still not sure LT is 100 percent, and the Patriots are still pissed. The bookies have given up on Belicheat, but I haven't.
Last week: Giants 44, Seahawks (+6.5) 6 (I need to take my own advice and realize how bad Seattle really is.)

(7 points) INDIANAPOLIS minus-4.5 over BALTIMORE
--> One of these days I'm going to hop off this old-ass Colts Express. As much as I think the Ravens are improved, I'm actually putting this one on the Indianapolis defense. I can't see much scoring from them, and a 10-3 Colts win wouldn't shock me at all. Don't bet the house on this one.
Last week: Titans 13, Ravens (+2.5) 10 (There's no truth to the rumor I am picking against Baltmiore just because I am pissed they couldn't salt this one away.)

(6 points) JACKSONVILLE plus-3.5 over DENVER
--> This one's a toughie. If the spread was 2.5, I'd probably go the other way. Can't see the Jags defense playing as poorly as it did last week. All the while, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall have sort of been exposed. Here's a hunch Maurice Jones-Drew and Old Man Taylor have a good day.
Last week: Broncos (-3.5) 16, Bucs 13 (See previous explanation.)

(5 points) ST. LOUIS plus-13.5 over WASHINGTON
--> Hear me out before you look to commit me. The Redskins are coming off two really tough division wins. The Rams have a new coach (I know who it is, numb nuts), and teams often play well the first week with a new coach, and especially after a bye. Look for a Washington let down, and I wouldn't even be shocked if St. Louis won straight up with the Real Men of Genius.
Last week: Cardinals 41, Bills (+0.5) 17 (Uh, I didn't see that coming.)

(4 points) CLEVELAND minus-7.5 over NY GIANTS
--> As you can see -- and will see -- I have decided to be a risky at the bottom. I just don't like the Giants giving this many points on the road -- to anyone. Also, Derek Anderson is fighting for his job, and more times than not when a quarterback is doing that, he plays well. Don't think the Browns will win, but I do think it will be surprisingly close.
Last week: Redskins 23, Eagles (-5.5) 17 (Way too much stock in Philly. No more.)

(3 points) DETROIT plus-13.5 over MINNESOTA
--> As bad as the Lions have been, Marinelli's plea last week really hit the heart. And if they get blown out again, I won't pick them again this year, I promise. Besides, who the hell are the Vikings to be giving almost two touchdowns to ANYBODY?
Last week: Cowboys (-13.5) 31, Bengals 22 (Looked like a cakewalk in the first quarter, grrr.)

HOW DA CMMSH FARED IN WEEK 5: 45 points, 4-10 (ouch)
OVERALL AGAINST DA SPREAD: 31-27 (.534), 293 points (73 points per week)

TP Sports Pool standings: MLC 323, JLE 305, Lopes 303, Me 293, JRap 285, LR 274, Gene Pool 259, WWB 244, PVW 239, KVP 238, DJW (won week, 92) 219

No comments: