Thursday, January 29, 2009

Some Super numbers

As we head into Super Sunday, the talk at work tonight turned to just how in the hell the NFL decided to use roman numerals to label their game.

My contention is who cares? While others insist they think it's "stupid." I think they just think it's stupid because they can't figure them out. It's not that hard people. Whatever, though. I personally like the whole roman numeral thing. Looks classy to me.

Still, I can see the NFL losing Caesar's digits before too long. You'll know why shortly.

This leads me to my predictions for upcoming halftime acts. No, I don't mean The Boss this year, rather who I see years from now -- some even after I'm long gone.

Before I look at the future, I can't believe the league missed on great opportunities for the past. Think about it ... Super Bowl IV in 1970 would have been perfect for Dr. Spock. Super Bowl XXX in 1996, you could have had the star from Debbie Does Dallas. Super Bowl XL in 2006, would have been a great time to head back to the 80s and grab the old rap group The Fat Boys.

Catch where I'm going with this yet? No? Stay with me.

Here's my vision for possible icons of future Super Bowls:

Super Bowl LI in 2017: He's been in hiding for quite a while, but you could have a whole martial arts theme and go with Bruce Li. Jackie Chan could be there. Hell, even Chuck Norris. Chinese food for everyone. It'll be a blast.

Super Bowl LIV in 2020: Gotta be Aerosmith, with Steven Tyler's daughter as their guest star.

Super Bowl LIX in 2025: Oh, where to start? I know. First with Gene Simmons, who'll be 75 years old in 2025. Can't you see it now? Him and Ace come out there in wheelchairs singing "I Want to Rock and Roll All Night." Then there's their hit, "Lick it Up." Lil Wayne will follow with a rendition of "Lollipop." Your kids will love it.

Super Bowl C in 2066: I'm not sure who's going to be popular 57 years from now, but I'm hoping there'll be some rapper named Vitamin. That's my vision, and I'm sticking to it.

I can't go much farther than that, but I can imagine they'll maybe be a mariachi band for Super Bowl CC in 2166. Maybe some Haitian long-distance runner in Super Bowl CCC in 2266. The head of RCA for Super Bowl CD in 2366. And a real dumb kid for Super Bowl D in 2466.

Lastly, Metry Mama suggested that nine years after that, they could roll out 600-year-old Dick Clark to have a Rockin Super Sunday for Super Bowl DIX in 2475.

Something to ponder. Or not.

No comments: