Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day of hope

Whether you voted for our 44th president or you didn't, today is a day of hope. As a voter who is one of the 10 percent or so who thinks W did the best anyone could do, considering he had to endure the worst terrorist attack on American soil and the worst natural disaster in American history.

Yes, I hope that the future is as bright as the majority of our citizens think it is. The words "cautiously optimistic" have been tossed around plenty as of late, and I share in that feeling.

I am doing my best not to be sarcastic. I am doing my best in believing I won't have to pay more taxes I can't afford next year or the next. I am doing my best to share in the beliefs of my liberal friends. I am doing my best.

As we head into the first term of the first African-American president in our nation's history, I cannot understand the sense of pride my black friends are feeling, but I can be extraordinarily happy for them. And I can hope they feel the same way four years from now.

Hope being the key word. So as we all watch (and watch and watch) the events of the day, I'll share my top 10 hopes for the duration of Barack Obama's presidency.

10. I hope the comments I have heard from people across the city saying they have nothing to worry about because "Barack Obama will take care of us," doesn't lead to poor people becoming complacent. I hope they realize their hard times really won't change if they don't work even harder to make them change.

9. I hope all helped by the federal bailout do what they are supposed to do with the money received and that the taxpayers aren't left with the burden of their mismanagement and downright thievery.

8. I hope that the Bush tax cuts remain in place in some form.

7. I hope we don't leave Iraq before Iraqis can take care of themselves, so that we never have to go through this again.

6. I hope President Obama does as well protecting our home soil as President Bush did in the seven years after Sept. 11, 2001.

5. I hope the bi-partisanship the president has shown in his days as president-elect remain throughout his four/eight years in the office, no matter the pressure from his Democratic friends in Congress and Senate.

4. I hope the enthusiasm shown throughout Washington, D.C., the country and the world is still as high even one year from now as it is today.

3. I hope the president doesn't try to do too much too fast.

2. I hope if we extend our hand to countries who don't deserve it that they don't slash our wrist in return.

1. I hope, most of all, that Yes, we can.

I hope. I hope. I hope.

No comments: